Fishing is something which everyone is fascinated about. If you go out for a casual trip with your friends or a family outing on a holiday, fishing can really add up to the fun. Earlier I was also very much active in fishing. But there was one shortcoming, my fishing equipment was absolutely conventional and old school. One of my friends suggested me to use the best topwater lures for saltwater. Earlier I was a little ambiguous about the idea but when I came across a topwater lure, I had not expected that it would work beyond my expectations. You might be questioning what exactly is a topwater fishing lure. A topwater fishing lure is basically a fishing lure that tends to float on water and it can be moved easily over the surface of water. This action of topwater lures help in attracting the fishes and allows them to attract on the lure. Such lures are also designed to look like certain smaller water creatures that are considered as food for certain species of fishes. Topwater fishing lures are fitted with fish hooks which aids to hook up the target fish when it strikes the lure.
How do topwater lures work?
Like we discussed before, topwater lures are made and designed specifically to duplicate the appearance of certain water creatures. The fishes get attracted to it and strike the lure. The hook which is attached to the topwater lure helps in catching the fish that strikes the lure. This lure is attached to the end of a fishing line. This is attached to a fishing rod and reel and is cast into areas where you may find your desired species of fishes. Fishing through topwater lures is considered an effective and exciting way of fishing. In order to ensure that you optimize your chances of successful hooking you should avoid initiating the hookset as soon as the fish strikes the lure. You must wait for a few seconds to ensure that the lure is properly placed in the fish’s mouth.
Top 5 Best topwater lures for saltwater Reviews 2020
I remember the time when I was an absolute newbie regarding using topwater lures for fishing effectively. When I went out to purchase one, I was flabbergasted to see a lot of brands that specialized in making topwater lures. It was really a perplexing process to choose the one that will suit my needs. Hence, to save you from such confusion, we have presented before you our top 5 picks of the best topwater lures. Let’s have a look at them.
1. Rapala X-Rap Jerkbait XR10 fishing lure
The Rapala X-Rap Jerkbait XR10 fishing lure features an X-Rap slashbait that comes up with an effective characteristic of hard-cutting as well as aggressive and effective darting action. It has a running depth of 3-8 feet and it weighs around 0.4375 Oz. It’s integrated long-casting system works in association with a rattle and conventional rapala action. The most unique feature of this topwater lure is that it gets suspended and comes to a roll even when it is at rest. This helps in triggering the bite from the fishes.
- The adrenaline-pumping X-rap slashbait has Xtreme attitude with its hard-cutting, aggressive darting action
- Running depth: 3-8 feet
- This topwater lure is extremely versatile.
- It has a higher durability.
- It works well for bas as well as saltwater speckled trout.
- The split ring present in this topwater lure can get separated from the bait with frequent use.
2. Yo-Zuri 3D inshore lipless crankbait
The Yo-Zuri 3D inshore lipless crankbait comes up with a power treble hook. It is a slow sinking lipless hard bait that features an excellent balance to ensure quick starting action around cover. It has an internal 3D prism technology that has an inner hologram sheet that never gets worn off. When it comes to species of fishes like Pilchards, Peanut bunker and Threadfin Herring that are usually to be found in the shallow waters, these topwater lures tend to work the best. These are characterized with exhibiting an erratic motion in a twitch-pause-retrieve style. This topwater lure is available in 10 different colors. This can surely be your best preference if you are looking out for buying a new topwater lure.
- The high quality hard swimbaits made of ABS material can withstand the wear and tear from fighting fish
- Cranking with topwater depth from one to three feet
- The Yo-Zuri 3D inshore lipless crankbait exhibits a quick response owing to a fixed weighted center.
- This twitch bait is a great choice for targeting and catching spotted sea trouts, redfish as well as snooks.
- It skims on top of the water surface and enables you to catch some large fishes with ease.
- This topwater lure is having excellent durability.
- It is easier to cast and it can go extremely far.
- This topwater lure is not an appropriate choice for beginners.
3. Heddon Super Spook Jr lure
The Heddon Super Spook Jr lure comes up with a firm and tough construction which provides it with a greater amount of durability. It is smaller in size but extremely explosive in its operations. It has got a fish catching design that easily enables you to target and catch fishes with ease. It also comes up with rugged line tiles and hooks. These help in making sure that the Heddon Super Spook Jr lure will be able to hold and handle aggressive charges from schooling fish. The Heddon Super Spook Jr lure has got a realistic finish as well. It provides you with a proper look for getting the best results in any topwater fishing situation. To get the best results from using this topwater lure it is advisable that you should use a double knot that has an 8-10 lb fishing line.
- Power Treble hook
- 3D Prism finish
- This topwater lure works efficiently on all kinds of freshwater game fishes.
- It is having a high level of durability.
- This topwater lure can really make catching reds and trouts with ease.
- It provides a great action and comes up with a great look as well.
- It is a little bit on the pricier side.
4. Yo-Zuri 3DB popper floating lure
The Yo-Zuri 3DB popper floating lure features an internationally patented 3D internal prism along with wave-motion vibration spark which provides a quicker response to instant bites. The lures that come under this series are characterized by having distinct wave-motions and vibrations. This allows the fishes to easily detect the lure with their lateral lines from a long distance. The Yo-Zuri 3DB popper floating lure comes up with realistically looking gills, fins and scales that create an illusion of a real baitfish. The presence of large injured/dying fish “Redeye”that is present on all 3DB styles, enables these topwater lures to become the target for game fishes. These topwater lures have Black nickel split rings as well as round Black nickel hooks. It weighs around ⅝ oz.
- HOOK DESIGN: 2 super-sharp hooks, especially important for scholing striper and other hard-charging species; Fish don't simply hit the Super Spook. They attack it
- VERSITILE LURE: Super-stout hardware system, from line ties to hooks, all designed to stand up to the most voracious species
- This topwater lure enables you to make the use of two fishing techniques that are “pop and stop” as well as “walk-the-dog”.
- It has a mylar tail hook for flash and lifelike fin.
- It exhibits a horizontal resting position surface tension that provides the best presentation.
- This topwater lure is extremely durable.
- It is budget friendly.
- This topwater lure’s hook are not of the best quality.
5. Bassdash SwimPanfish topwater bass lure
The uniquely made Bassdash SwimPanfish topwater bass lure is completely handcrafted and it has six rock-solid joints. These rock-solid joints help in facilitating an extra smooth S-shaped swimming action when it is on a straight retrieve. The attractive design of this topwater bass lure features bluegills that are appropriately fitted with razor-sharp treble hooks as well as premium split rings. This topwater lure is designed to resemble a SwimPanfish that has textured fins, lifelike 3-D eyes as well as realistically painted finishes. The most distinguished feature of Bassdash SwimPanfish topwater bass lure is that its unique design is accurately similar to the scales that are present on a SwimPanfish. This topwater lure can be your most preferential choice if you are a swimbait enthusiast and an angler who is after bluegill eaters. This swimbait is made up of ABS material which is able to withstand the wear and tear that can get inflicted on the swimbait when it is attacked by an aggressive fish.
- Ideal shape and balance
- Secondary popper-cup throws water spray
- The multi-section design of this swimbait helps in keeping the bass hooked withstanding the aggressive attacks of certain fishes.
- It resembles the real life-like swimming action of fishes.
- This topwater lure is highly durable.
- This topwater lure is uniquely crafted and detail oriented to provide you the best catch at all times.
- To make this topwater lure swim right, you need to ensure that you retrieve this topwater lure extremely fast.
How do you rig a topwater lure?
To ensure that you get sufficient amount of catches from your topwater lures, you need to follow these steps:
Rigging the bait on your rod
Topwater lures generally come up with a split ring that is attached to the top of the lure. You need to remove those split rings as they tend to add weight to the lure. You should also prefer using a standard monofilament while using topwater lures as monofilament doesn’t sink fast.
Tying a loop knot
Tying a loop knot on your lure can provide you full control over it and you can control its positioning and directions too.
Length of the monofilament
You must go for a monofilament that is a little more than 2 feet in length. This helps in shock absorption if you are going out to catch big fishes. It also helps you in providing you with a kind of stretch that is needed to ensure proper catching of fishes.
Choosing the right kind of rod
If you are looking out to rig a topwater lure, you can go with a 7 to 7½ medium to medium-heavy rod that is having a 2500-4000 size reel. You should be going with the mono leader as it doesn’t tend to sink down faster.
Many a time, some aggressive breed of fishes tend to notice the plastic component in the topwater lure and they start attacking it. In such cases you should keep a fishing rod handy with a softer bait that you can drop at the place where the fishes are striking. That can help you in catching up those fishes.
How to choose the Best topwater lures for saltwater? Buying Guide
Buying up a topwater lure can be a trickier proposition at times. There are certain factors that you should consider when you go out to try your hand on a topwater lure. Let’s have a look at those factors.
1. Water temperature
Water temperature tends to play a crucial role in determining which topwater lure you should go for. The water temperature also affects your decision about the kind of bait that you should go for. Let’s classify it further based on the seasons.
In spring seasons, the water temperature tends to be the coldest. In such conditions, fishes tend to be lethargic and do not chase fast moving baits. In such cases, you need to go for a bait that is slow and stays in water for a longer amount of time. Therefore in springs you should go with popper style frogs and other slow moving baits.
Early summer season
In early summers, you should go out with medium speed topwater baits. Such kinds of baits can move sidewards too.
Late summer season
In late summer seasons the temperature of water can reach up to 85 degrees. In such conditions, fishes tend to see the bait clearly and they chase it down.
There are certain days when the winds blow too strongly. In such cases you need to match the noise level of your top water bait to the wind. In cases when there are no winds, especially in the early mornings, you must choose to go out with subtle styled baits that do not make much noise. As the wind catches up speed you must go with baits that exhibit a medium level noise. The buzz baits tend to be on the higher end and the pompadour tends to be the noisiest bait. Such baits make noises that attract the fishes to come towards it. Therefore which bait you should go for is also dependent on the speed of the wind.
This article would have surely provided you with a descriptive and detailed idea about topwater fishing lures. We expect that a topwater fishing lure will surely find a place in the accessories that you will be carrying out for fishing. Afterall, a topwater fishing lure adds up to the fun and excitement of your fishing experience. If you have any further queries about top fishing lures, do let us know in the comments section. It would provide us with great pleasure to answer up your queries as soon as possible. Also, do not forget to give your honest feedback on this article. Your feedback is highly valued by us. Till then happy fishing. Thanks for reading.