Bow fishing is a type of fishing which does not follow the traditional sense of fishing. But the basic principle of this fishing style is quite simple. It is basically a method of hunting fishing with specialized archery equipment.
For archery fishing or bowfishing we need some equipment like bows, arrows, line, reels & glasses. Some manufacturers offer a variety of kits to convert the basic bow into high price fish hunting apparatus. The reels of bowfishing vary by design and material. The main fact of a bowfishing is the aim. You should know how to aim bowfishing because if you don’t know that your fish will escape from you. Here I will share some aiming tips and information about bowfishing.
- Bow: Some types of bows don’t have sights and some types of bows have hook & roller rest. Bows are basically two types. They are traditional bows & compound bows. Traditional bows are recurved and longbows. In this modern time, compound bows are famous. It has a pulley system that helps in archery. A compound bow can draw 140 to 160 lbs by a young man.
- Arrows: The arrows of bowfishing are much heavier & stronger than the arrow that we use in archery game. The arrows are basically constructed of five-sixteenths inch fiberglass but solid aluminium and carbon fiber arrows are also available. But fibreglass arrows are best for bowfishing.
- Line: The line for bowfishing generally made by nylon, dacron or spectra. Common weight of a line is between eighty and four-hundred pounds, six hundred pounds weighted line is used for alligator hunting. I don’t think that you guys will go for an alligator hunting so just choose the common weight.
- Reels: Bowfishing reels are generally three types Hand warp, spin cast and retriever. Hand wrap reels are basically simplest reels. There are some retriever reels which have slots cut & they are known as slotted retriever reels.
- Glasses: In bowfishing polarized sunglasses are useful for good visualization of the target. But night glasses are not helpful.
- Lights: The bowfishing lights are one of the most important things if you want to go for bowfishing at night time.Because you need light to see the fish in the water at night otherwise it’s impossible to catch them.
Best place for Bowfishing
The best place for bowfishing is fresh water like lakes, rivers or ponds because when you are aiming a fish, you need a clear view. Fishing in shallow water is best for bowfishing especially between the range of three or four feet.
How does it Work
The term “Bowfishing” maybe new for youth but now the days it is a very attractive sports & as well as it is a new passion trend. The basic principle of bowfishing is to point the objects to catch the fish. You can easily spot a fish in the shallow water. So when you spot a fish, you should move carefully & try to go close to the fish as much as you can. If everything is in a proper way then don’t wait to take an aim. Be carefully focused & let it fly. If the aim is proper and correct then the barb-tripped arrow will hit your target.
The assumption of where the fish is in the water is very difficult. You must be very conscious of it. Generally in this type of fishing segment ” aiming” is very important. But it is true that to aim a fish is very difficult to work even for the man who is master in bowfishing. We all know that the water has a refraction property. Generally, it optically deviates the proper location of an object in the water. But most of the time the target will miss. So the aiming must be straight at the target. When you aim at the target must be very conscious because there will be an optical illusion. You should be very skillful, you must measure the depth and distance of the target. It has an impact that to assume how far below the object from the bow. You must be aimed four inches below of your view. If you measure it in millimeter then it will 102mm. You should aim your target four inches down for every ten feet. The distance from the fish water must be lateral and you have to add 3 inches for every foot of water depth.
Best timing for bowfishing
Bowfishing is a very flexible sport. If you want bowfishing in daylight then the best time is spring around the spawning time of the fish. There is another reason for choosing the spring that in this time the water is clearly visible. If you want to hunt a big fish then the best time is spring or summer.
Some Important Things
We share lots of things about bowfishing. Here are some other important things related to the aiming
- If your target is 30 centimeters below to the surface and 3 meters away then you must aim ten centimeters low.
- Aim 15 centimeters down for every one-foot depth.
- Watch the target and aim ten inch or 25 centimeters down.
- When you hunt your target, first of all, aim for the front half portion because this area contains the brain & vital organs of the fish. So you will generally kill the fish. But very conscious that you don’t have much time for hunting because a fish can swim fast. If you want to bow fishing from a boat then you must need a flat-bottom vessel which helps you to take into shallow water.
Yet bowfishing is not traditional but it is adventurous. You can do it on your weekend. You can challenge your friend and it will be fun to see who is more capable of aiming you or your friend. Try to aim bigger fish for a bigger meal because they are so tasty. I provided all the tips and hope that your adventure will be going too fun. All the best for your trip.